This describes how fast these axes break through blocks, so a wooden pickaxe’s DPS is 2.4 while a stone pickaxe’s DPS is 3.6, meaning that the stone pickaxe will break more more in less time than the wooden pickaxe.
Also, some blocks have more toughness than others and take longer to break. For example, a diamond block will take about 12.5 seconds if we use the wooden pickaxe, but the stone pickaxe will take 6.25 seconds to break.
Minecraft pickaxes: use as a weapon
On the other hand, pickaxes can be used to hit a mob, generating a stronger attack than using fists. Pickaxes lose 2 points of durability even when used as a weapon, as they have an attack speed modifier of -2.8. That means they take about 0.83 seconds to recover. All have an attack speed of 1.2 shots per second, as they deal different damage based on their type.
Logically, Netherite Pickaxe would do the most damage at 7.2 per second. The Diamond Pickaxe is next with 6, then you have the Iron Pickaxe with 4.8, the Stone Pickaxe with 3.6, while the Wooden Pickaxe and Gold Pickaxe do 2.4 damage per second.
Where to find pickaxes
It is possible for a pickaxe to appear as loot in the chest of a naturally generated structure at various probabilities. Here’s a breakdown of the different types of pickaxes you can find as loot, and where you’re likely to encounter them:
- Fortress Warehouse chests have a 4% chance of containing an iron pickaxe
- Mine chests have a 7% chance of containing an iron pickaxe
- Stronghold altar chests have a 12.1% chance of containing an iron pickaxe
- Village armorer chests have a 25.6% chance of containing an iron pickaxe
- Village blacksmith chests have a 41.2% chance of containing an iron pickaxe
- End City chests have a 13.3% chance of containing an enchanted iron pickaxe
- ruined portal Chests have a 20.5% chance of containing an enchanted iron pickaxe ‘enchanted gold
- Bastion Remnants chests have a 6.7% chance to contain an Enchanted Diamond Pickaxe
- End City chests have a 13.3% chance to contain an E Enchanted Diamond Pickaxe
- The bastion’s remaining Hoglin stable chests have a 13.6% chance of containing an enchanted diamond pickaxe
How do you make an iron pickaxe in Minecraft?
Open the crafting table, add 3 iron ingots in the top row, then 2 sticks in the middle of the second and third rows to create an iron pickaxe.
Smelt iron ore in a furnace to create iron ingots. To mine gold, redstone and diamonds, you need an iron pickaxe.